Explore all that Southern Maine has to offer – theaters, arts, culture and more.
Brick Store Museum, housed in a block of restored 19th century buildings, features art, artifacts and cultural exhibits depicting the history of Kennebunk and its environs. There is also a research library. Open Tuesday through Saturday year-round. Admission by donation; suggested, $5.
Counting House Museum is a brick cotton factory dating back to the 1830s located by the Salmon Falls River. It is the headquarters of the Old Berwick Historical Society, which owns and maintains the property. The building contains one of northern New England’s last textile mill ballrooms and has documents, photographs and historic curiosities covering a wide spectrum of community life in and around the Berwicks, the site of the first permanent settlement in Maine. Open 1 to 4 PM on Saturdays and Sundays, May through October. Admission is free.
The Ogunquit Museum of American Art houses more than 1,600 pieces in its permanent collection and is the only museum in Maine devoted entirely to American art.
Seashore Trolley Museum houses one of the largest collections of electric and railway cars in the United States. It offers trolley rides in authentic cars, educational slide shows, displays of historic trolleys and a gift shop. Guided tours and trolley rides. Open daily from Memorial Day through October; open weekends in May.
Strawbery Banke Museum is an outdoor history museum with restored furnished houses, exhibits, historical landscapes and gardens and costumed role players. In 1630 the Englishmen who settled on this tidal inlet of the Piscataqua River called their outpost Strawbery Banke because of the profusion of wild berries that grew near the river. In 1958, the founders of the museum chose to use the name (and spelling) of the original community. Strawbery Banke is an authentic neighborhood, with most of the 42 historic buildings on their original foundations. Some of the houses have been restored and furnished to particular periods; some are used for exhibits; others serve as shops for artisans practicing traditional trades. Open May 1 through December 30; daily, 10 AM to 5 PM for self-guided tours. Admission is $15 for adults; $10 for ages 5 to 17. Family and group rates available. The museum parking lot is on Hancock Street.